PRESSURE TESTING LTD
Office: 36 Mayfield Road, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU2 8AP
07967 233836 Fax: 01582 896709
in London, Luton and Cardiff
Checklist of Items to be completed prior to
our arrival on Site
- Prior to attending site we require accurately
calculated values for the Floor Area, External Wall Area, Roof Area & Volume of the building. We will also
require a set of floor plans and elevations to mark up areas of leakage in
the event of a test failure.
- We will require the Design Air Leakage Rate or Air
Permeability for the building. For commercial buildings this is generally 10 m3/hour/m2,
but can be lower, if requested in SBEM calculations. For houses the value
is generally lower than 10 m3/hour/m2, and should
be documented in the SAP rating report.
- We require TWO 240v Electric sockets within 25
metres of EACH of our testing equipment set up.
- Ensure that the completed building envelope is
finished. All doors, windows, and cladding must be installed, or if items,
such as glazing are missing, they should be sealed up to prevent air
leakage. Please note that temporarily sealing items with tape should be
limited to those items detailed in item 5.
- Seal with tape or cardboard any duct work and
mechanical vents to the outside. Pay particular attention to the air
- Seal all ducts and penetrations where the main
services enter the building.
- Seal all SVP and waste pipe penetrations passing
through external walls and ceilings. Make
sure that the tops, sides & ends of all pipe boxing’s
are sealed to prevent air leaking into the boxing and escaping through
SVP/waste pipe penetrations.
- Ensure that all toilets and U bends in sinks have
water in them.
- Turn off all pilot lights and combustion equipment.
Seal all flues.
- Decide which personnel door/s are
to be used for the test. Make sure that there are no obstructions within 3
meters of the inside and outside of the door/s chosen for the test. In
some cases the door/s may need to be removed, if so you will need to
supply an attendance to remove the door/s.
- Ensure all external doors and windows are closed
fully and make sure all trickle vents closed but NOT SEALED. Internal
doors should be wedged open.
- Smoke vents are to be closed but NOT SEALED.
- Lift shaft vents are to be left open, with lift
- Remove 1% of ceiling or floor tiles that are
adjacent to the external envelope.
- In houses
all penetrations through the top floor ceilings should be sealed. IN
commercial buildings – if you have a vented roof space above the top floor
ceiling – all penetrations through the top floor ceilings should be
- The most common areas of leakage are either at
junctions where walls meet each floor and the roof or junctions between
different materials. Check gaps between tops of walls & roof are
- Have a competent member of your staff available on
the test day to modify and/or seal any further areas that we identify as
requiring extra work.
- If the door/s chosen for the test have a larger opening larger than 1.200m x 2.100m high,
you will need to modify the opening to suit our standard template.
us for advice should this be required.)
- Whilst we would prefer to have the building empty during
the test duration, people can stay in the building whilst the test is in
progress. They may not however enter or leave during the test period.
(Approx 1- 2 hours)
- The customer must confirm the test date in writing
at least 72hrs before the programmed test date, if this doesn’t happen APT
reserve the right to cancel the Air Leakage Test until written
confirmation is received.
- We require a parking space for a transit van type
vehicle within 10 metres of the test location on site.
- Testing cannot take place in high winds or if
significant temperature differences persist, particularly for high
buildings. You should inform us immediately if on the day of the test high
winds in excess of 6 m/s are experienced, and a personnel door in a
sheltered area cannot be utilised. If we arrive on site to carryout the
test and have to abort the test due to windspeeds
in excess of 6 m/s the full test fee will be payable.
- If we arrive
on site and are delayed due to the site not being prepared adequately, or
the items in this checklist not being completed prior to our arrival, we
reserve the right to cancel the test. The full test fee will be payable.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE PREPARATION OR THE ACTUAL TEST,
THEN PLEASE RING OUR OFFICE TO DISCUSS THEM. WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU ACHIEVE A
PASS AT THE FIRST ATTEMPT.